Now we’re spending so much time at home, a lot of us are baking! I’m sharing a
favourite cheesecake recipe. I’ve been baking this cheesecake for years and it is always well received by family and friends. The ingredients are readily available in the supermarket.
YOU WILL NEED
(Note: I use Australian standard size measuring cups but recipe works as well with US measuring cups)
For the crumb crust
1 x 200g packet of plain, sweet biscuits
125g butter, melted
For the filling
2 x 250g packets cream cheese
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
3 large eggs
grated rind and juice of 1 medium lemon
¼ teaspoon vanilla paste
½ cup plain flour, sifted
1 cup sour cream
½ cup sultanas or raisins
Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160˚C (fan 140˚C) or 325˚F
- Crush biscuits in food processor (or place biscuits between two sheets of baking paper and crush with rolling pin) until the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Combine crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture onto base of 23cm (9in) greased springform pan.
- Refrigerate crust until firm.
- Beat cream cheese in an electric mixer or using a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add sugar, beat well, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon rind, lemon juice, vanilla, sifted flour and sour cream. Beat well.
- Dust sultanas with flour and stir into mixture.
- Pour cheese mixture onto crumb crust and place on middle shelf in oven. Bake for 45mins. Turn off oven heat. Cool in oven 30 minutes. Note: cake may crack on top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Dust top of cake with icing sugar. Serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream if desired
TIP: Which plain, sweet biscuits are best for a cheesecake crumb crust? My favourite (in Australia) is Granita or Marie. When I lived in the UK I made this crust with Digestives and my American friends use graham crackers. It’s up to you to choose a favourite!
Lemon Rind and Juice
Beat the ingredients together.
pour cheesecake mixture into the springform pan
Cheesecake to serve
This step by step guide to making cheesecake with photos is from author Kandy Shelpherd.