I found this recipe a couple of years ago when I was looking for something a little different to share with the family in summer. Something with taste that was easy to make and looked good too. The caramelised onion gives a nutty sweetness that contrasts well with the rest. We loved it! Hope you do too.
50 g butter
4 red onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespns brown sugar
1 tablespn balsamic vinegar
3 medium beetroot, trimmed,
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
150g goats’ cheese or feta (Mr West isn’t a fan of goats’ cheese so I swapped)
¾ cup cream, whipped
1 tablespn horseradish cream
1. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, stirring occasionally for about 30 mins, or until caramelised. Stir in vinegar and sugar.
2. Meanwhile, boil the beetroot until tender. Drain and cool. Peel and slice thinly.
3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 F, gas mark 6).. Join pastry sheets by overlapping the edges and pressing together. Lightly spray tin with oil 19x27 oblong loose-based tart tin with oil and press pastry into it. Trim the excess and prick with a fork. Note – I don’t have this size tin so I used two separate tins. Freeze for 10 mins. Remove from freezer, line with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake for 10 mins. Remove paper and beans/rice then cook for another 5-10 mins till golden.
4. Spread onion mix over pastry, then cover with beetroot. Spray with oil. Bake for 10 mins then sprinkle over the cheese.
5. Combine cream and horseradish in a serving bowl. Cut tart into pieces, serve with horseradish cream and rocket.
Australian Annie West loves writing passionate, intense romances and not just because it gives her a chance to ignore housework! She is a USA Today Bestselling author, published in 25 languages. Annie writes contemporary stories about charismatic heroes and strong heroines. She loves being in contact with readers as far apart as Brisbane, Bremen and Bermuda. When not writing and avoiding housework she can be found walking, enjoying good food and good company, travelling and reading.
Connect with Annie via
Her website: http://www.annie-west.com
Or sign up for her occasional newsletter with book updates, behind the scenes information and giveaways: https://tinyurl.com/ya56pe7c
THE GREEK’S FORBIDDEN INNOCENT